Friday, 5 July 2013
Felt Needle book
As promised, here is the pic of my new felt needle book. It measures approximately 90 x 100mm when closed and has two smaller layers of light weight felt inside to stick the needles in. I decided to have another go at blanket stitching, this time I think it has turned out ok, although I still could do with more practise! I blanket stitched all around the brown layer and used the same embroidery thread to stitch the layers inside so that when folded in half it would create the needle book.
I've decorated with various die cut flowers and then stitched the beads into the centres, then used up the beads along with some pearls to create a decorative trim on the spine - not to any design, I just made it up as I went along! To finish I've stitched lazy daisy leaves in the same green thread I used for the veins on the die cut felt leaves - I can remember being taught how to do them when I was 7 years old, about the same time as I got my very first needle case.
The dies I used to create the embellishments are:
Little flowers from a button die in Nellies Choice fancy circle set. Leaves from Marianne Design CR1248 and CR1249, flowers from LR0105 both sizes and the centre of the larger flower from LR0145 the smallest die. The little purple hearts are waste from another project and are just fixed with 'tacky' pva glue.
I finished another one - smaller and a different shape but with rather a lot of pretty embellishments on top - I got carried away again! I need to take a picture then will share it with you - but now the sun is shining and the garden needs a little tlc .. .. Enjoy the sunshine this weekend xx