Thursday, 16 July 2015

CCT Water

It's time for our next challenge at Cute Card Thursday, and this time it's 'Water' - hopefully not too much falling out of the sky today!  Our sponsor for this challenge is  Whimsy Stamps, please stop by the CCT blog to read all about the prize and see what the rest of the DT have created.

A few weeks back I was inspired, after watching lots of mixed media clips on YouTube, to fish out my old Stewart Gill paint stash.  Now some was so old that the paints had dried up and had to be binned, but I did have plenty of the pretty Pearlescent and translucent Alchemy paints in shades of aqua, white and some pink, and also a few metallics that were almost usable! So, in order not to waste card I used a piece from the middle of my chocolate mini-roll pack (after eating the top layer of mini rolls!) and set to sloshing on the base colours.

The paint dries quickly and cleans up with water, so no hanging about thankfully.  I then fished out some old rubber stamps, one that looked like rising bubbles I stamped over the background with a dark aqua paint, then infilled the bubbles with white pearl paint then I added some light green squiggles from the bottom up to look like weeds, or so I thought!  The other stamp I used is a sort of umbellifer seed head and I used a metallic paint to stamp that, although the first generation is a bit thicker than I would have liked (bottom left) but better second generation top right.  I then got to flicking some aqua paint and adding aqua dots with a thick Adirondack pearl paint in the colour stream.

Next was embellishing, and first up was to use the aqua micro beads I've had in my stash for a decade!  I used dries clear glue to fix them along the bottom but wish now I had used Glossy Accents as some are coming off around the edge so I might need to redo.  You can just make them out at the bottom of my dragonfly close up picture.

The dragonfly is another old stamp, bottom layer stamped onto the lavender vellum is embossed with silver the top layer embossed with an iridescent powder.  I only used the wings on the top layer to add dimension, fixing them to stand proud with a little silicone glue. I've added fine aqua glitter to the segments of the body and see some has stuck to the wet glue around the beads too - I like that!

The flower is the one I made a few weeks back from the large Marianne Design LR0122 poinsettia dies, you might recognise it from here.  I've dabbed on some of the pink pearl and translucent lavender paints then fixed a gem to the centre.  The 'leaves' are MD die LR0192 and I've added glitter to the ends of the fronds..  Lastly, I managed to get a couple of tiny butterflies punched out of the last piece of lavender vellum and gave them glittery bodies too.

I had fun with this creation, and really want to have more time to play with mixed media stuff, although I do like to keep things pretty and for the moment am just using my bits and bobs to make cards .. .. more to share soon!

Crafty Cardmakers also have water as their theme this week so I can enter my creation with them.

Thank you for stopping by, and see you again soon with a couple of little cards I've made with my painted backgrounds.


  1. A fantastic card. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers and More Challenge. Marlene DT

  2. Oh my this is just gorgeous! Love all the texture and detail and your focal point is just so pretty.

    Thanks for sharing with us

    Crafty Cardmakers and More

  3. What a lovely card - your flower looks just like a waterlily! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More



Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment.